M&S Newcastle Green Wall and Sustainability Initiatives
M&S Newcastle was the first full line M&S store in the UK to trial some exciting new sustainable technologies. At Prometheus, we were extremely proud to have been selected as Principal Contractor to deliver this high profile project, which was to help the store cut energy usage by 20%, deliver measurable customer improvements, and promote biodiversity within an urban setting.
Our works included:
- Installation of a 167 m2 Living Green Wall, creating new habitats for birds and insects, and helping to insulate the store;
- Rainwater Harvesting, collecting rainfall from the roof to irrigate the Green Wall;
- LED Lighting for refrigeration display cases; creating an improved appearance using far less energy;
- Heat Reclaim system, utilising waste heat from refrigeration systems to provide heat to refrigerated aisles and deli seating area;
- Intelligent door sensors and high velocity air curtains, preventing heat from escaping, retaining warmth inside the store and saving energy.
In addition to these sustainability initiatives, we were also responsible for rebranding and signage to create a new corporate look for the store and making it one of the first in the country to display the new M&S branding. We also completed general building works, controls, and interior and exterior decoration.